Mud therapy is very simple and effective treatment modality. The mud used for this should be clean and taken from 3 to 4 ft. depth from the surface of the ground. There should be no contamination of stone pieces or chemical manures etc. in the mud.
Mud is one of five elements of nature having immense impact on the body both in health and sickness. Advantages of using mud:
- Its black color absorbs all the colors of the Sun and conveys them to the body.
- Mud retains moisture for a long time, when applied over the body part it causes cooling.
- Its shape and consistency can be changed easily by adding water.
- It is cheap and easily available.
Before using, mud should be dried, powdered and sieved to separate stones, grass particles and other impurities
Mud Pack-Local Application
Keeping soaked mud in a thin, wet muslin cloth and making it into a thin flat brick depending on the size of the patient’s abdomen, apply it. The duration of the mud pack application is 20 to 30 minutes. When applied in cold weather, place a blanket over the mud pack and cover the body as well.
- When applied to abdomen it relieves all forms of indigestion. It is effective in decreasing intestinal heat and stimulates peristalsis.
- A thick mud pack applied to head in congestive headache, relieves the pain immediately. Hence this is recommended whenever there is necessity for a prolonged cold application.
- Application of the pack over the eyes is useful in cases of conjunctivitis, hemorrhages in the eyeball, itching, allergy, errors of refraction like short sight and long sight and especially useful in glaucoma where it helps to reduce eyeball tension.
Mud Pack for Face
Soaked mud is applied on the face and allowed to dry for 30 minutes. This is helpful in improving the complexion of the skin and removing pimples and open skin pores which in turn facilitate elimination. This also is helpful in eliminating dark circles around the eyes. After 30 minutes, face should be washed thoroughly with cold water.
Mud may be applied to the patient in sitting or lying position. This helps to improve the skin condition by increasing the circulation and energizing the skin tissues. Care should be taken to avoid catching cold during the bath. Afterwards, the patient must be thoroughly washed with cold water jet spray. If the patient feels chill, warm water should be used. The patient is, then, dried quickly and transferred to a warm bed. The duration of mud bath may be 45 to 60 minutes.
- The effects of mud are refreshing, invigorating, and vitalizing.
- For wounds and skin diseases, application of mud is the only true bandage.
- Mud therapy is used for giving coolness to body.
- It dilutes and absorbs the toxic substances of body and ultimately eliminates them from body.
- Mud is used successfully in different diseases like constipation, headache due to tension, high blood pressure, skin diseases etc.
- Gandhiji used to take mud pack to get rid of constipation