National Iostitute of Naturopathy (NIN) is registered under the Societies Registration Act., 1860 and came into existence on 22-12-1986. This institute has a “Governing Body” headed by the Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare as its President. National Institute of Naturopathy (NIN) is located in a historical building called “Bapu Bhavan” which is situated at Tadiwala Road, Pune. “Bapu Bhavan” is named after Mahatma Gandhi, Father of the Nation, who stayed here for 156 days and made this institution his home whenever he was in Pune from the year 1934. Formerly this place was known as “Nature Cure Clinic and Sanatorium” which was run by late Dr. Dinshaw K. Mehta. The All India Nature Cure Foundation Trust was established in this Centre by Dr. Dinshaw K. Mehta. Mahatma Gandhi became its life long Chairman. Gandhiji conducted his Naturopathy experiments and organised National and International activities while staying here. The present complex was handed over to Govt. of India on 17-03-1975 by Dr.Dinshaw K. Mehta for starting the National Institute of Naturopathy.
Naturopathy is a drugless non-invasive rational and evidence based system of medicine imparting treatments with natural elements based on the Theory of vitality, theory of toxemia, theory of self healing capacity of the body and the principles of healthy living.
The applied aspects of Naturopathy includes mainly fasting and diet supported by treatments with natural elements which includes Hydrotherapy, Chromotherapy, Mud Therapy, Manipulative therapy, Electrotherapy, Acupuncture, Magnetotherapy, Physiotherapy, Exercise & Yoga Therapy.
FUNCTIONS OF THE INSTITUTE
NIN has an OPD clinic with free consultation services where various Naturopathy treatments are also given to the patients at a subsidized rate i.e. Rs.350/- per week. Naturopathy treatment has become popular in Pune and NIN’s OPD is attracting large number of patients.
- Yoga Classes
NIN is conducting 8 batches of yoga daily. Four classes in the morning including one batch at 9 am exclusively for women and Four in the evening. A monthly fees Rs.200/- per participant is being charged.
NIN publishes a bilingual magazine in Hindi & English “Nisargopachar Varta” at highly subsidized rates. Articles on Naturopathy ,Yoga ,health food ,longevity ,natural way of living ,prevention and cure of diseases by eminent authors are published ,which enhances the readers knowledge to have health self sufficiency as advocated by Mahatma Gandhi.
- Health Shop
A Health Shop is run by NIN where Natural food & drinks and products free from chemicals and fertilizers are made available to the public. Also books on Naturopathy, Yoga & other Health subjects and various instruments used in the treatment of Naturopathy are sold at subsidized rates.
- Naturopathic Diet Centre
NIN is running a Naturopathic Diet Centre in its premises and providing diet facilities to the general public and patients who visit this institute and getting good response.
- Food Festival
Naturopathy Food exhibition is held in the institute every year.
- During 2009-10, conducted 4 days Health Food Exhibition at Dilli Haat, New Delhi.
- During 2010-11, conducted 4 days Health Food Exhibition at MDNIY, New Delhi.
- Various natural recipes devoid of additives, chemicals, spices, artificial sweeteners etc. were exhibited.
FREE MONTHLY WORKSHOP IN REGIONAL LANGUAGES
- NIN conducts monthly workshop in regional languages viz, Marathi, Gujarathi, Punjabi, Sindhi, Bengali, Oriya Malayalam , Telugu ,Tamil, Kannada etc, on the 3rd Saturday of each month.
- Free lunch with natural food, Herbal tea/Lemon juice are provided to each participant.
- Copies of NIN’s magazine Nisargopachar Varta and treatment equipment “Enema Can” are distributed free of cost.
- NIN conducts free guest lectures by eminent speakers on every Wednesday on “Procedures and Benefits” of Naturopathy treatment in different common ailments.
- NIN organizes one-day workshop with demonstration of procedures on different diseases for general public on the last Saturday of every month. Each participant is charged Rs.30/-. Lunch with Natural food, Herbal tea and Lemon juice are provided to each participant. Average participation is approximately : 85.
- Treatment Attendant Training Course (T.A.T.C)
58 students are undergoing 1 year Full Time Treatment Attendant Training Course (T.A.T.C) with a monthly stipend of Rs.3000/-.
- Free Acupressure Treatment is being given to the patients, daily between 2 to 5 p.m., six days a week.
- Approximately 250 patients undergo this programme every month.
- Hindi Pakhwada is celebrated in the Institute every year.
- Essay writing and Elocution competition in Hindi are organized in association with this.
PARTICIPATION IN EXHIBITIONS
- NIN participates Arogya exhibition organized by Dept. of AYUSH, New Delhi and various other exhibitions in Maharashtra.
PUBLICATION OF RARE TEXT BOOKS ON NATUROPATHY
- NIN has published the Book “Rational Hydrotherapy” by Dr. J. H. Kellogg, USA.
- Published has also published Diet – Recipe Book during 09-10 .
RE-IMBURSEMENT SCHEME UNDER CGHS/CS (MA)
- Credit facility is being provided to the CGHS/CS (MA) beneficiaries.
- In order to promote self health and health awareness among the public on naturopathic lines, financial aid is being given for conducting Naturopathy awareness programmes through NGO’s and Naturopathy hospitals all over the country.
For more information kindly visit the website of National Institute of Naturopathy